Wednesday 1 October 2014

The tale of a bedside table

I like shopping just as much as the next person but lately I'm finding that up cycling is just a bit more gratifying.

I was in need of a small bedside table. Nothing fancy, just somewhere to put my lip balm a book, lotion and water. A ledge to push my alarm clock off of.  You know, the stuff every girl needs beside her bed.

Now I said that I like shopping but having two boys means I don't get any time to look at anything. It would seem though, that I have all the time in the world to sand and spray paint things! Who doesn't want to spray paint things?!

My Dad has a collection of random old furniture that isn't really antique but not that new. So when I found what would be the perfect table I was given his blessing to do with it as I saw fit.  I just needed to find the right colour.

I am not really ever fancy about the things I up cycle and since my head is always going a million miles an hour I usually make hasty decisions because if I think about something too much I won't make a decision.

So there I was in Rashotte Home Building Centre in Tweed walking past the spray paint. I knew I had to pick a colour because who knew when I would be there again. The first colour that I saw I bought, but there were so many colours to choose from.

Excited to arrive home, I  got startes sanding down the table a wee bit (thank heavens for power sanders) and proceeded to spray.  I took on this project in August which meant it was very humid outside. After the first coat of paint, I put the table in the small barn we have. The next morning I went out only to find it covered with stupid flying ants that just had to land on my creation in progress and get stuck. Oh and there was a curious footprint that could have only belonged a racoon.

Despite the minor set backs I sprayed on, of course after picking off the bugs. I brought the table into the house to finish drying and to keep it  away from said nusences only to wake up the next morning to find cat prints on the table!

After all was said and done my beside table turned out beautifully even though you can still make out a print or two and that it took forever to dry in the humid weather.

I love my table and it's being put to good use!

No comments:

Post a Comment