Monday 4 August 2014

Butter is better

I was gifted an amazing cook book from my awesome boss who is also a very good friend. The book is called, The Homemade Pantry and it has been an inspiration to My Not So Pioneer Life. The book is full of recipes and advice on how to stock your fridge and pantry with homemade staples like butter, bread, crackers and yogurt instead of store bought. The idea being, knowing exactly what is going into your food. Today I made butter...and not by accident.  I'm sure everyone has over whipped whipping cream at some point! There were no churns involved although the idea if churning my own butter does intrigue me. Today I left the elbow grease to my kitchen aid mixer. The recipe calls for 2 cups of heavy cream. Whip it on high speed until the cream separate's (about 5 to10 minutes), let it sit until you have butter and buttermilk. With cold hands knead the butter and squeeze all the buttermilk out and save it for up to 3 days on the refrigerator.  Then all you have to do is knead the butter until no more liquid comes out. Occasionally rinsing it under water. I have to say that fresh butter on crackers tastes amazing and is very gratifying.  I wouldn't bake with homemade butter only because with this recipe you get maybe a 1/2 cup so just using it as a spread will be good enough for us! I highly recommend giving homemade butter a go, even if it's only a one time thing.  Because how cool is it to sat that you can make your own butter? Gold stars to all you butter makers out there! Happy churning!

No comments:

Post a Comment