Tuesday 2 December 2014

Lollipops to Help a Cough



Candy making is something that has always intrigued me and scared me at the same time.

 I’m not afraid to say that I have an extreme lack of patience. So when it comes to heating up boiling sugar to a VERY specific temperature I usually stand at the stove wanting to turn up the heat past medium high to move things along and I look like a kid staring at the pot saying ‘is it ready yet is it ready yet?’

Let me start by saying, a candy thermometer is a MUST have for making candy. I have a cook book that says you don’t need a thermometer and goes on to explain testing the sugar for a certain stage in the candy making process.  Let’s just say, putting a drop of boiling sugar in a glass of cold water to see if it forms a ball then spreads out when it hits the bottom is not a good way to test for soft ball stage. Trust your candy thermometer and the little tick on it that says soft ball stage!

The reason why I wanted to make candy last week and specifically lollipops is because Max had a terrible cold and was coughing up a storm. This is why honey lemon lollipops were on the top of my list for the day.

I found the recipe here I’ve also pinned the link to the recipe in the 'Home Remedies' board on Pinterest, there is another recipe for flavored lollipops in ‘The Candy Man Can’ board on Pinterest so if you follow me there that's where you will find them.

The recipe is super easy and takes no time at all. Which surprised me because sometimes making candy it quite the commitment.  

All you have to do is start with the very small list of ingredients. I did have to go out and buy lollipop sticks, which you can find at the bulk barn.

Mix all your ingredients together in a pot and let it come to a boil on medium high ( I held myself back and didn't turn up the heat) until you get to the hard crack stage. 


 Then pour your very very super duper hot hot hot syrup carefully onto a parchment lined baking sheet. I was scared of burning myself but I can out unscathed, but please be careful.


You have to work fast because once the syrup starts to cool it gets really thick and hard to pour. But if it's too hot you will have a hard time pouring perfect circles. This picture is of my second batch of strawberry flavored lollipops. I did a better job on these. The honey lollipops were crazy looking shapes but tasted very good!

And there you have it kids! Homemade lollipops! 

They are a little different then store bought but that really goes without saying. They are crunchier and I would like to play with the flavoring a bit but they seem to be a hit here. You can always get kids to try candy creations without anyone turning up their noses! 

Now that I have a little more confidence with candy I may try something else.  Christmas is almost here so stay tuned who knows what I might get my hands into!





No comments:

Post a Comment