Friday 2 January 2015

Pancakes for breakfast anyone?!

Pancakes.  Pancakes are a very serious business in our family and have been since I was a kid. There's nothing better then a fluffy pancake to start your day off or to end your day with. Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner?

Over the years I've tried a lot of boxed mixes from the store then a few from scratch always in search of the best tasting pancake.

I found that the boxed mixes were very handy and quick but they always left me feeling like I had a big lump in my tummy. Making the pancakes from scratch,  like anything, always taste better but takes a bit more time and effort.

This left me wondering. How I could get the best of both worlds?

Pinterest will know!

I went online and looked at all of the homemade pancake mixes I could find. The general mixes were pretty much all the same, it's what you do with the mix when you are ready to make pancakes that's the trick.

 Here is the mix recipe

12 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
6 tbsp baking powder 
4 tap baking soda
2 tsp salt


 This is the recipe doubled because we do really eat a lot of pancakes 


Give everything a quick whisk and store in an air tight container.

Okay, now you're standing in the kitchen, your kids are whining for food. Don't panic, here's what to do!

Take out your trusty homemade pancake mix.

In a mixing bowl add

2 cups pancake mix
2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Whisk all the ingredients together. Don't be worried if it's a little lumpy.

A quick note...I use soured milk instead of regular milk. In this case in a 2 cup measuring cup add 2 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar then fill up the measuring cup to 2 cups and give it a few minutes to curdle. I usually do this step first and get everything else ready. Usually by that time the milk is ready.

Now just make your pancakes like you normally would and top with your most favorite toppings! We are partial to homemade strawberry jam but, to each his own.

This recipe usually makes 12 good size pancakes.


If you have homemade mixes that are a staple in your home please share! It's always nice to take one thing off the grocery list!




1 comment:

  1. I will try for breakfast but I do not enjoy breakfast for dinner!

    ReplyDelete